E-mail Sis. Chapman

You can now e-mail Sis. Rachel Chapman at: Rachel.chapman@myldsmail.net

She'd love to hear from you.

Her physical address is: 1810 Winston Dr., St. Marys, OH 45885

Tuesday, April 29, 2014


Sounds like you guys have had a great week!  I'm so happy to hear that!
I hope things with Sarah get better soon. I hope that this summer when she's in Utah they can get things figured out! I'll be praying for it!
This has been one of the most memorable weeks for me in the best and worst way.
Jill came home from the hospital Thursday so we went over and saw her. She was doing really good! A little groggy from the meds but was doing great. Her brother, Jerry was in town staying with her for a few days. He is the high priest group leader down south and just seemed like a great guy. He was going to work on getting her place cleaned up and tobacco free so that when she was recovered she wouldn't have to worry about that. So we left Thursday night feeling really good about everything and really happy that Jerry was there to help out. Friday morning we got a call from Jilll's son, Josh, that Jill had passed away. It was so shocking. We couldn't believe it. I still am struggling accepting it. So Friday was rough. Then Saturday morning didn't really help. We got a call from Jerry saying that he had just gotten a call from the police that Josh, Jill's son, had told a friend that he was thinking about committing suicide and that he wanted us to go over to Jill's apartment to see if he was there and if he was okay. I really didn't want to do that, I didn't feel like it was something we should do but we didn't know what else to do. (Don't worry, I'm never going to do something that stupid ever again, I'll call the cops first.) So we went over, reluctantly, and walked into to Jill's old apartment and saw Josh lying on the couch with a blanket over his head. Sis. Bakker and I both thought he was dead. I started to panic. It was a-w-f-u-l. But then we saw him breathing and woke him up, he was just asleep. (I said so many prayers of gratitude) So we went in and invited him to the baptism we were having in 30 minutes. He seemed to be alright and doing well, that he wasn't a threat to himself. He didn't want to come to the baptism because he didn't have any church clothes, so we told him we'd catch up with him later.  So then we headed to Jim's baptism. Talk about an adrenaline rush. I can't believe that we had just done that and now were going to a baptismal service.... not my ideal idea of the way I wanted Saturday to go.
We got to the church and started getting everything set up and together. We took lots of pics with Jim and were just glad that we were there at the church with him as he was getting baptized. It was awesome. Then President Vellinga walked in and we felt even better! It was so wonderful to have him there with us for that. The service went so well! Sis. Bakker gave the talk on baptism and Jim asked me to sing, so I sang "This is the Christ." Everything went so well. Then it came time for the actual ordinance. Jim was baptized before in a river and he said it was freezing cold and so we promised him that this one would be warm, that was the one thing he wouldn't have to worry about. He stepped into the font and it was colder than the river.... One of the water heaters in the church was broken and that water was freezing. I felt so bad for him. But he was baptized and said that it would definitely something he would never forget. haha. He was a really good sport about it. After the service we got to talk to a lot of Jim's family who aren't members. His sister and brother in law lived in Chesterfield for a long time so it was fun to talk with them about St. Louis! I loved it! Jim's great nephew joined the church when he was a senior in high school and then went on a mission to Vegas West and about a year ago was married in the Temple. So the family has been really impressed with the church and they all love it and love that Jim has joined it. We all left wondering why none of the rest of them had joined the church yet. We're all still really confused about that. But they are awesome people. They actually took us all out to lunch with them after the service! It was so fun. they are such great people, Jim is really blessed. President got to meet all of them and a lot of the branch members. He said he was really impressed with everyone and everything. He said the baptism was "perfect". PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sis. Bakker and I almost hit the roof! We were so happy to hear that. After the 24 hours we had just been through that was definitely something we were excited to hear. We really needed something to help us get through the rest of the week.
Which is why I'm also so grateful for the Women's broadcast. It was WONDERFUL! I loved it. As soon as we sat down and it started I was hit so strongly with the spirit, it just hit me like a brick wall - SO STRONG. I think it was the first time this weekend that I got to sit down and kind of reflect on everything that had happened and to listen to women who were special servants of the Lord. It was so much what I needed. I felt the Lord's hand in that. I am so grateful for general conference and the opportunity we have to be ministered to by our general authorities. It helps us feel close to our Savior and feel Him close to us, something that Sis. Bakker and I needed so desperately.
Sunday was also a great day. Jim was confirmed and received the gift of the Holy Ghost. So special! The Felvers also were there again - 2nd Sunday in a row!!!! Heather is really getting excited to be baptized! She and Robin were at the baptism on Saturday. Robin cried the whole time, the spirit was really working on her and she felt it for sure. Heather is definitely what is driving this family to come back right now. It's so awesome! They are making some great progress. Dane is going to be out of town this week for business, so we are sending him a daily scripture text to help him stay focused and remember to stay strong.
We also went and saw Josh Sunday night. He seems to be doing really good. he knows that the Lord won't give him more  than he can handle, so he's staying strong. I think he's going to make it out alright.
So it's been a crazy week. Lots of awesome things and a few not so awesome. But that's the price we pay for loving people. We're just so grateful that we were able to help Jill start moving in the right direction, she was making a lot of progress. We're happy she's in a better place and look forward to being reunited with her soon.
Thanks for all you guys do. I miss you all so much!!!!
LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sis. Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment